Be prepared for the tropical heat
The carriages on Kuranda Scenic Railway are more than 100 years old, all part of the charm of this heritage experience! However, it does mean there is no air-conditioning. The train has large, open-air windows – bringing you closer to the scents of the rainforest and mist of the waterfalls you pass by.
During warmer months, inside the train can feel hot and humid. Plan for tropical heat and hotter travel conditions.
Tips when travelling to keep you cool and hydrated:
- bring plenty of water with you for the trip, as there are no shops onboard
- wear lightweight, cool clothing
- wear sun protection, especially while visiting Kuranda village
Here are a few additional suggestions to make your special day even more enjoyable:
- wear comfortable walking shoes for exploring Kuranda village
- bring a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses for sightseeing at Barron Falls
- wear insect repellent if you intend to experience one of the many rainforest walks
- bring motion sickness tablets if travelling in vehicles and onboard trains affects you
- remember your camera to capture your memorable day
For information on accessibility onboard or at Kuranda Scenic Railway stations, please visit our Accessibility page.
More information about planning your trip is available at Kuranda Scenic Railway conditions of carriage.